{Lens fun} I have been blown away by everyones perfectly sharp photos, and by blown away I mean totally jealous. I knew I needed some photography help, but I didn't think I was taking horrible pictures. For one my kit lens (I know, I know) is dead (hallelujah) and I don't have an all around lens other than that. I do have a 50mm 1.8, so I have made an effort to use it more. I also want to take more people pictures, but sadly I have no children and being home alone with the dog can only produce so many pictures. Ugh! So, I took some pictures of myself and of course Moser today in hopes to work on taking more sharp photos.
Isn't it nice that only one eye is in focus...jokes. But really, is that good or bad. Help!
And the ever so handsome Moser...his eyes look blurry to me.


The photo of you is awesome, I really like the DOF and the clarity of the shot. Yes, I do like just the one eye in focus. You are a beautiful young lady.
ReplyDeleteIn Mosers head on photo, I would have like to see both of his eyes in focus. Looking at the photo, it appears his right eye is the focal point. Do you know what your f/stop was set at? You mentioned your lens goes to f/1.8. Could you raise it up a bit? Perhaps that would have put both of his eyes in focus.
A while ago Courtney posted a tutorial on different techiques on getting super sharp photos. If you didn't see it let me know and I'll find the link.
I was having the same trouble with eyes and read in a children's photography book I checked out of the library to push your shutter release button half way to lock in the focus on one eye, holding it there gently move the camera to the other eye and take the shot. This has worked every time for me, unless my subject moves, which happens a lot since I'm photography my wiggly children. Here is some shots where I used this to get clear eyes http://itisforfreedom.blogspot.com/2011/02/36536-2-well-spent.html
ReplyDeleteThese are lovely photos really! I hear ya though on the jealousy of others' tack sharp photos!
ReplyDeleteThe photo of you is intense and a perfect use of b/w. I love it! And of course Moser is always adorable. I have been having some problems lately as well, and I think it is because my kit lens is on its way out... uh-oh!
ReplyDelete